08 Aug Combating Sea Sickness – Charleston SC
How to Combat Sea Sickness- Charleston, SC
Sea sickness is a condition that no one wants to experience. Especially if you’re having fun on the water, about to catch a big fish, or on the way back from a long day at sea, motion sickness from the rocking of the boat is never fun. Even if you have never had sea sickness before, you may not be completely immune to it. Anyone can experience the nausea and sometimes vomiting that comes with this motion-caused illness.
Combating Sea Sickness Solutions
We want you to have the most enjoyable experience on your fishing charter, so here are some tips to combat sea sickness:
- Take deep breaths and drink lots of water.
- Stay up on deck and stare at the horizon. Your seasickness comes from the rocking of the boat, so staring at something stable and unmoving should help with your nausea.
- Don’t drink alcohol or eat so much you’re stuffed before you get out onto the water
- Take an over the counter medication for motion sickness such as Dramamine, Bonine or Meclizine.
- If the over the counter medications don’t work for you, there are several prescription medications such as Promethazine and Ephedrine, but be aware of potential side effects.
- Try a Scopolamine patch behind your ear.
- Ginger is supposed to work quite well in thwarting the effects of seasickness. Try one gram of powdered ginger (1/2 tsp) or its equivalent, every four hours as needed (not to exceed four doses daily), or two ginger capsules (1 gram), three times daily. You should not ingest more than four grams of ginger daily. If pills and powder are not your thing, chew on a piece of fresh ginger, a piece of ginger candy or sip on ginger ale.
- With your thumb, use pressure on your inner arm about two inches down from your wrist. Or, you could buy a motion sickness wristband that will keep pressure on the same area.
Fishing Charters in Charleston, SC
Hopefully these tips will ensure you have a great, seasick-free time on your fishing charter! Book your fishing trip today from Fish the Wahoo! You can conveniently choose from our 4 hour, 6 hour, or 12 hour package. Visit us online or call 704-999-6597 for any questions or concerns.